Saturday, December 26, 2009

Text Book vs. Real Life


NREMT

Dec 23 I took the National Registry for EMT. Ending up having to drive nearly a 100 miles down to Rochester in order to take the test (before the holidays). I was impressed at how ‘secure’ they are with this test. Not only do you need to provide two forms of photo id but they take your photo and require a finger print scan to enter the testing room.

I thought I was prepared. Pass every test. Studied. But this test was nothing like the question I used to prepare. 50 questions in I was starting to wonder if I was acing the test or failing it miserably. After 65 questions I done. It kicked me out. This is a test that could take 60 or 150+ questions based on how well you answer. The good news is I must have done well…still don’t know my score but I know I passed.

Later that same day I was able to respond to a medical that came across with a female seizing with prior brain surgery. It was a good thing I went with a few experienced Fire EMT’s. I went in totally focused on ensuring an airway and Oxygen but quickly realized there is the whole human touch that was just as important for the patient and the family. Like everything else there is the text book execution and then there is real life execution…..the key is to know when to use and balance the two.

No comments: