Monday, June 22, 2009

Black Hat




Nine Months. Two Classes per Week. Four hours per class. 12 Probies. What seemed to be a lifetime away has come and passed. June 11 each transitioned from our “Probationary” Yellow Helmets to our official “Black” Helmet. No longer do we stand out like a sore thumb (at least in our minds) in a sea of black & red helmets. We’ve all earned the right to transition from Probie to Rookie for the next year….or two.

Graduation Night was an opportunity for our families to sit through a formal quarterly business meeting. I was fortunate enough to have both my kids and wife join me in this celebration. Heidi ‘pinned’ my badge on while my kids joined me for the officially swearing in.

The best part is knowing you (and your family) have made it through this long, year-one commitment. It is definitely one of this significant milestones that define you by a title......Graduate, Husband, Dad and now Fire Fighter.

No comments: