Monday, February 22, 2010

Training in the light of experience:

Right Seat Training: The last two weeks have been all about preparing the non-officers on how to manage an incident for the first few minutes (first on scene) in order to keep a squad safe and make the right decisions which typically impact the way an incident will be handled. It is amazing how few incidents we have which makes our training that much more important.

I am also in the midst of FAO (Fire Apparatus Operator) training which means I’ll be driving the big red truck pretty soon. Driving is one thing……Operating the water pumps, flowing water and making sure everyone on the end of the hose has enough water…..this one will take a number of months of practice, driving and more practice.

And last month I took the Fire & Life Safety Educator class which….well gave me some great insight into the effort, progress and infrastructure behind training and prevention. So, since we don’t see a lot of action I am taking advantage of all the training and practice I can get. ….but I’d still prefer a big ripper someday soon.

No comments: