Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Time to Start Blogging EMT



EMT Training

Two weeks in and we finally started some hands on training. The first few classes have focused on the physiology & anatomy. I enjoyed back in high school and still find interesting. I think I’ll experience more medical/rescue calls than I will fire calls during my time in Eden Prairie so I am very motivated to learn it and perform it well.

Hands On tonight is not quite the same as the fire department but still very interesting.
Tonight we focused on three stations:

Chair Stair- a uniquely designed chair to transport people up/down stairs to an ambulance/stretcher. This device will certainly save backs and make life easier for patients and EMT’s.

Stretcher Operations – Operating a stretcher is more than pushing a wheeled cart from door to ambulance. It looks simple (and it is) but getting some hands on experience in lowering, raising and moving in/out of an ambulance certainly helps.

And finally, we did airway management. O2 Operations; oropharyngeal & nasopharyngeal airway; suction and artificial respiration with a Bag Valve Mask.

No comments: