Thursday, September 18, 2008

Week One

I am what the EPFD calls a Probie (probationary) or rookie or Yellow Helmet. First year in-training fire department.

Sitting at 40 years old I am loving this opportunity to learn new skills, meet new people, get involved within my community and keep myself busy.

One of the elements I find so interesting (as a Probie) is the fact that I am low man (person) on the totem pole. For the better part of the last fifteen years I have been a manager or leader of a team. People looked up to me to tell them when and how to do things. I was encouraged to think for myself and take risks. Now, when I am on a call or training, I am told exactly what to do and when. No deviation. No free-lancing, no thinking. Just listen and respond. That is going to be interesting and a new skill for me.

During this first I have responded to about a dozen calls and met a lot of great people. Next week we begin our SCBA training.

Should be fun.

No comments: